I made two floating shelves from some wood beams of 10 cm by 10 cm, which were left overs from the house construction.
I choose some wood beams that were not rotten, but not in a perfect condition. It would be great if the beams would have stayed at least 2 years out in the open. The wood beams I used spent 4 years in the wind and the rain, plus they had some concrete on it, so they met the conditions perfectly. I chose 2 pieces a little longer than the shelves I planned to do, in order to have a reserve in case some problems would appear after cutting the wood.
I had to clean the concrete from the wood beams, so I wouldn’t break the knives, before planning them. I did this with an angle grinder with adjustable speed, and a velcro sandpaper pad. I once tried another angle grinder, with a fixed speed of 11 000 rpm, but it seemed too dangerous at that speed.
After cleaning, I planned all the four faces, taking care to make the sides perpendicular to each other. After straightening, I could cut them to the final lengths.
Because the wood was affected by weather, it is likely that the wood could splint if the knives are not freshly sharpened. Since the knives on my machine were not too sharp, I sanded the surface with rough grit sandpaper.
I beveled the edges without passing them on milling, but sanding then directly for the same reason: the risk of chipping. However, pinewood can be sanded pretty fast on all the corners.
The next step was another sanding of the surface, this time with fine sandpaper, grit 180.
I chose to treat them with water-based primer although it will not increase the strength of the wood too much.
The primer was followed by 2 coats of clear water-based varnish with intermediate fine sanding.
I made the mounting tabs after the shelves were ready, but they should have been done before painting. I made some successive holes with a 15 mm drill-bit, followed by some small chisel touches.
Then, I made the holes in the wall. These must be very accurate, otherwise it’s almost impossible to be able to hang the shelves.
Finally I searched some keys and a bill to make the pictures look better.